The Adaptiv Technologies TPX 2.0 Radar and Laser Detector is a detector designed for motorcycles. It’s designed to detect all laser bands and radar detectors. Weighing in at 1.28 pounds, this small, lightweight model is great to attach to just about any bike. It features both sound and light displays for ease of use. Water, shock, and vibration resistant, the TPX 2.0 can join you on all your road trips, no matter how far.
Adaptiv Technologies TPX 2.0 Review
I have been interested in a radar detector for a while. Although they are illegal for use in ten states here in the US, they are legal in enough of the states I drive through on my bike that I could get good use out of one. Measuring in at 7 by 8 by 2.5 inches, this device is small enough to bring around without being in the way. That makes it easy to store away when riding through a state that has laws against them. The device is easy to program, easy to wire into your bike’s battery, and then you’re ready to ride.
Pros of the TPX 2.0 Radar/Laser Detector
- It’s lightweight and small. This device is designed with motorcycles and their riders in mind. It feels like they put a lot of effort into making it small, light, easy to mount, and easy to pack away.
- The TPX is easy to install. I was sure that plugging it up to the battery would be a hassle, but it turned out to be easy. The wiring harness connects to the battery, then you run the wires out to where you want the device to sit. The manual helped out a lot in this situation, so make sure you have it close by when you’re installing it.
- It has both visual and sound indicators. Whether you want to wire it to your helmet’s sound system or keep an eye out for the lights, you can use it either way. This makes the TPX 2.0 great for more people. The lights are very bright so you won’t miss a thing, even if you’re not using the sound indicators.
- I liked the oversized buttons, perfect for hitting when I’m wearing riding gloves. I want to be able to program it without taking my gloves off, and this model delivers.
- The TPX 2.0 is durable. Since I ride almost all year around, it’s nice to know that I won’t have to replace this thing all the time. It’s shock resistant, can be used in the rain, and didn’t break even when I dropped it. And yes, I should be more careful with my electronics, but it’s nice to know that my clumsiness didn’t ruin my purchase.
- While it’s pricey, it’s still a great deal. It’s not as cheap as some of the models I’ve seen, but it’s not the most expensive either. It’s worth it to pay a little more to get the quality that I need in a radar detector for my bike.
Cons of the TPX 2.0 Radar/Laser Detector
- Has a few known mechanical issues listed in the user’s manual. On occasion, it will throw positives when you go over a bump. While mechanical problems can happen anywhere, this is a well-known enough issue that they put a fix in the user’s manual for it. I’m not sure why they couldn’t have fixed this issue themselves.
- Areas with a lot of obstructions can have a low range for this radar detector. Depending on where you live or ride most often, this can ruin the whole reason you got this device in the first place. While the range is great on the open road, in the city or in heavily wooded areas it can be a little spotty. Overall, the range is awesome for me, but it might not be the best detector for you.
I love this device. While there are tons of models out there with higher price tags that will get you more features and higher range, this model works perfectly for me. I don’t need a lot of bells and whistles; I need a detector that works. And the TPX 2.0 is the best motorcycle radar detector on the market! Between the easy installation and the durable, small frame, I’m a fan for life. If you want a radar detector that can travel the long road with you, the TPX 2.0 Radar/Laser Detector is the one.